1916 CENTENARY CHAPEL, GLASNEVIN CEMETERY
RIAI International Architecture Competition 2014
A semicircular Main Piazza generated by the movement of mourners and visitors embraces both the existing 1916 Monument and the proposed Centenary Chapel. The hard landscaping immediate to the existing 1916 Monument is remodelled, existing steps are removed and the ground is evenly graded to provide a shared external space surfaced with a Dublin granite cobble. A reflective pool is added to the raised bed fronting the existing 1916 Monument. On approach the Centenary Chapel rises as a cylindrical centrepiece from the baseline of a sweeping oak-beamed canopy that cantilevers from a repeating screen of vertical stone piers. A car-parking area providing the required 17no. car spaces is located to the other side of this sweeping canopy screen. It is surfaced with permeable grassed paviors along with some semi-mature trees to edges. The Chapel’s outward image, not unlike that of a lantern, emerges as a witness to the Chapel as a place of commemoration, contemplation and celebration.